Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Intro: Pros and Cons

Cons: In writing a blog I realize how presumptive I am being. The Internet presents us with an enticing trap. The bait is notoriety or appreciation. and the trap is that we struggle for it and struggle for and in the end realize that few people really care. Sure there are some success stories in the blogosphere. But what is it that denotes that success? How many followers that blag has. We are a digital universe of followers. We wait like swirling vultures for the next post from the person we see as an authority on something, or who we are trying to impress.

And, then, in perhaps a moment of weakness masked by the perception of opportunity, we embark on our own blog. We set out on the journey and call others to follow us. We dig for what is interesting. We aggrandise our vocabulary and hit our thesaurus hard. We all think that our thoughts should be heard, analyzed and even adhered to. It is presumed that what is put out there will be appreciated and seen as valuable. How many blogs are covered in digital dust? So many thoughts are tucked away in the back alleys of this endless maze of ones and zeros. I wonder if mine will be among them, or even more accurately, when.

Pros: Yet, I embark anyway. I am stepping out, not that this is any big leap. I am confident that along the way this blog will hold truth, despair, information, arguments, self-evaluation, boasts, and all of the other features of human conversations. My hope is that here is where I can develop my ideas, thoughts, desires, feelings and what not into something of substance. In putting out these words and branding myself with each interaction, I hope that this machine's output is something more sleek, more capable, more efficient, deeper, broader, and frankly better than the input. So in I go. The cogs will be our discussions. The oil will be how much we care. I hope to draw you in, not for the haughty self confidence it would bring, although I'm sure I would be tempted by this, but for the help.

I thank you in advance for your participation. You will make me a better being. I hope to return the favor. It is in community and conversation that we grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment